Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reusable cleaning wipes

I love the convenience of cleaning wipes such as Clorox or Lysol wipes.  It sure beats finding a rag and a spray cleaner or using paper towels, that just go to waste to clean up my home.  However, I don't love all the trash they produce and the cost, if I can't get them on sale/ with a coupon can get pricey.  So, I decided to make my own.  This time, I didn't research prior, and just went with what I thought would work.  Here is how I did it.  I also went back AFTER I made them and did a little searching and found some other ways.  What's great is you can use your favorite pre-made liquid cleaner or make your own.  I think next time I will try and make my own less chemical-ly cleaner.  Depending what cleaner you use and what material you end up using for your wipes, this can save you a lot or a little money.  Overall, it is better for the environment though, so you have that going for you!

*Things you will need:
     +a container, I used a baby wipe container I already had
     +bottle of your favorite cleaner
     +2 yards of flannel (white)
     +cardboard to trace your "pattern" on to
     +scissors
     +water

*How To:

1)  Trace the bottom of your wipes container onto cardboard (you could use paper)

2)  Fold the cardboard over so your pattern is double width, cut out pattern.
3)  Using your pattern as a guide, cut out squares of flannel.  I suggest using a total of 2 yards of flannel, which should make about 40 wipes.  I am unsure of the width of the flannel when you buy it, but all in the store I went to (JoAnn fabrics) were the same width.

4)   I cut the flannel out THEN laundered it.  I did this because I wanted it to fit nicely inside the box without bunching around the edges.  When you launder it, they pieces shrink slightly making them fit perfectly.
5)   Fold each "sheet" in half, so that it fits in the container.  Stack into two piles, about 20 pieces per stacks.


6)    Add 1 cup of cleaner to bottom of container and 1/2 cup water (the cleaner I used was a little strong, so I diluted it.

7)    Add one stack of sheets into the container, squish down so they soak up the liquid.
8)  Add another 1 cup of cleaner and 1/2 cup water, stack second half of sheets on top.
9)  Squish your sheets down and/or lightly shake the container (lid closed) to help disburse the liquid.

10)  If needed, add a little more cleaner and water.  You don't want a ton of liquid swimming at the bottom, but a little is fine.
11) Label your container so you know it isn't really baby wipes!
12) Get cleaning :)

After you have used the wipes, rinse in warm water and hang to dry.  Launder with hot bleach water, no need to dry, just put back into the box and add a little more cleaner.
Make sure if you decide to switch cleaner, that you use up all of your cloths and launder them and wash out the container to prevent a chemical reaction.

**Cost:
Flannel was about $6 per yard at JoAnn Fabrics, however, I had a 50% off coupon.  They offer these quite often.  I only bought 1 yard, but to fill the box, I would buy two yards.
Container was free as it was a pre- used baby wipes container.
Cleaner was Spic & Span antibacterial cleaner I bought at Dollar Tree for $1

Normally, I have two open containers of wipes.  One for bathroom and one for kitchen.  I go through approx 1 per month  and a half or so for each room.  These wipes normally cost between $2 and $4 for a 35 count container of wipes.  I usually buy these on sale, but sometimes can't get them on sale.  Per year, if I buy the cheaper wipes at $2 each, I end up spending about $32.  Considering that one bottle of cleaner will last for two tubs, I will spend about $8 per month and a half.

**Total, $6 for fabric and $8 for cleaner, for one year it will be costing me about $14.  If I were to use my own cleaning solution made from things I already have, this could potentially be much lower or nearly free.

**Savings: $18 or more
This isn't a lot of money, but also remember, it creates less waste and can be customized to your personal cleaner preference.

*Other ideas:

     +Instead of using flannel, you could use old cut up shirts, towels, or wash cloths.
     +If you want disposable home made wipes, cut a roll of paper towel in half, put your cleaning solution in the container and add half roll of towels.  Let soak a few minutes, remove inner paper tube and pull wipes from center, much like pre-made wipes.  You could maybe use a pre-used large wipes container for this.
     +Consider making two containers of wipes so you never run out while the others are being washed, or if you like a certain cleaner for one area and another type for another area of your home.
     +Instead of a baby wipes container, consider using a large zip lock or similar container with a lid.
     +You could also not fold the wipes, but throw them into larger, wide mouth container with cleaner and just pulling them out as you need.

**Recipes for cleaning solution I found:

 3 cups water  
1/2 cup vinegar 3 good squirts of Dr. Bronner’s baby-mild liquid castile soap
 about 10 drops tea tree essential oil.



mix two tablespoons of white distilled vinegar and one teaspoon of borax.

 Add 1 cup of hot water and stir until the borax is dissolved. 
Let this mixture cool a few minutes
Add 1/4 cup of castile soap OR 1/8 cup of liquid dishwashing detergent.