Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Earring Holder (Part 2 of DIY Jewelry cabinet)

Part of my large Jewelry cabinet was a DIY earring holder.  This could be done to hang alone as well.  I got ideas from Pinterest.  If you haven't yet checked this site out, do so!!
Anyhow, it came down to two things I wanted for my earring holder- something open to hang earring with ear wire hooks and something that I could "stick" my post style earrings in to.
I had a large frame from my mom's which was the basis of the frame.  I added a mesh-like grill grate to one side and cork board (backed with cardboard) to the other.  In the end, I glued a piece of scrapbook paper to thin cardboard and glued that to the back side.
I think I may have abused some sort of hot glue-usage rule?!?
Apparently I forgot to take photos of this step by step, but I can tell how I did it.
Here is the step by step:

1)  I painted the frame, 3 coats of white paint and two coats of teal accents.
2) I removed the piece of plastic that surrounds the two small bulletin boards, turned them over and made sure they were side by side (edges) flush with one another
3) Used a wide strip of thin cardboard and glued it to the back of the bulletin boards to form one large piece.
4)I cut into the ridges in the side of the bulletin board's cardboard backing and pushed the edge of the grill topper grate into the cut, using hot glue to attach.
5) I turned the frame over and hot glued the earring holder to the frame.
6) Using Mod Podge, I glued a piece of scrapbook paper to a thing piece of cardboard, wait until it is dry then glued it to the back side of the area where the grill topper grate was.
7) Using the plastic strip that surrounds the bulletin board, I cut it to fit over the sections of my earring holder where I joined the pieces.  Hot glued the pieces down.

DONE!



 NEXT- DIY Ring Holder!