Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Ring Holder (part 3 of DIY Jewelry cabinet)

As with the earring holder, I have found many DIY ideas for ring holders on Pinterest.  This was pretty simple and cost me about $3 to make.  The frame I used was a previous purchase from the same store where I got all the other supplies that I used, so this could be made for $5 or so if you had to buy all the supplies.  I had purchased the stain and clear coat for my cabinet, so that cost isn't included here either.  I also used paint that I had.
Here is how I made it:

Supplies: Picture frame,  2 packs of foam Hair rollers, a small wood box, white fleece, stain, clear coat, paint and LOTS of hot glue!





1)Stain the wood box, let dry and then put a layer of clear coat on top for protection and shine.
2)  Remove plastic rod pieces from foam rollers.  I think I used all but one or two total from the two packs.

3) Determine how many rollers you will need to use by placing them inside the box, you want them snug, but not too snug that they are popping out.  Cut pieces if you need.  I used approx. 2 1/2 rollers glued end to end for each row.
4) Glue roller ends together, squishing the pieces together after glued to help glue hold.

















5)  Cut pieces of fleece the same length as the rollers and large enough to go around the rollers with about 1/4" excess overage overlapping.  Cut enough for all of the roller pieces.

6)Run a line of hot glue along the edge lengthwise on the fleece, carefully glue roller piece down.



7) Roll the fleece around the roller and add another line of glue to edge, securing to the roller.  The roller should be covered with fleece now (except for ends).


8)  Run a line of glue over the section of roller that has the fleece edge (underside) and press into top of wood box, making sure it is snug against top edge of box.  Repeat with remaining roller pieces, making sure to space pieces evenly.  





At this point, your ring holder could be done, but to add a little bit of a more "finished" look, I painted a basic wood frame and hot glued it to the top.  This also helps hide any of the foam ends of the rollers that may be poking through.  




NEXT- DIY Jewelry cabinet