Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY LARGE Jewelry Cabinet Part One

Like many women, I have a plethora of jewelry odds and ends tucked her and there.  Mine was getting to the point that I had crammed 2 jewelry boxes, a wall hung necklace holder, half of a free standing jewelry stand and a couple of random other areas full of pieces of jewelry. I was always fighting to untangle necklaces, dig for  bracelets and wondering which little drawer such-n-such might be in.  It was taking up room and frustrating.  Then I thought, "I need a giant wall hung cabinet that can hold ALL my jewelry which I can see just from a glance.  Simple right?  Not so much.  I looked at many stores and online.  Most large jewelry cabinets/chests were $200+ and still were mostly drawers.  I did find a couple  online which were overall the idea I was going for.  This one was nearly $150, but not enough hooks or storage overall.
http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Armoire-Mirror-Cabinet-Black/dp/B0033J8YIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337210075&sr=8-1
Then I thought this one was cool, but again, not enough space, and not a cabinet, better price at about $60 though.
http://www.amazon.com/Overdoor-Jewelry-Organizer-Bronze-Longstem/dp/B004DYUAXG/ref=pd_sbs_hg_3
I gave up and decided to make my own!

I wanted it to have the following:

*Character
*Color
*MANY hooks
*An earring holder
*A ring holder
*Possibly a couple drawers (did end up with them, after all)

I wanted to use the following:

*A combo of hooks and old drawer pull/ cabinet hardware and "cup" hooks
*Cheap items
*Reclaimed items/re purposed items
* A budget of about $25

The breakdown with costs


Originally, this was going to be made from pre-made laminate shelves that you can get at any DIY place.  I had two short ones and got a couple longer ones from my mom.  This didn't work, because I would have had to cut them and was worried the laminate would rip.  Scratch that idea.

Now, before I go into too much detail, I must say that this project WOULD cost quite a bit more, but I went "shopping" in my parent's garage/house for items to use (they are more than happy to have me take away some "junk").   I also used a few coupons for $5 off your next order coupons for a few of the items I used.

Items I found from "shopping" at my parents:

*Picture frame (used for earring holder)
*Cabinet door (used to be in my room back when I lived there, has been sitting in garage for over 15 years now!)
*Piece of faux wood wall board (used for back on cabinet)
*A couple bags of random cabinet/drawer pulls.  I found a bunch of one type, a few of another to use)
*4 "L" braces (these are used to hold the cabinet together.
*Long square pieces of wood (I cut these down and used them to attach the "hooks" to)
*Random piece of 1x4 wood (used this as the "top" of my drawers)

Things I had:

*Drawers from an existing jewelry box that I used
*Spinning "hook" thing from existing jewelry box.
*Disposable grill topper (this was used for part of the earring holder)
*Rubber gloves (stain application)
*Small picture frame (used on ring holder)
*Teal paint
*Paint brushes, rollers, roller covers, paint roller tray
*Screws
*Fleece (used for ring holder)
*Hot glue/glue gun
*Mini Padlock

Things I bought and costs (approx.):

*Wood.  I went to Home Depot and selected a 16' section of  wood.  I believe it was 1 1/2x6".  This may not be exact, but I think that was the size.  My door is an odd 19"x43", so I had them cut it into the sizes I need (this was free).  The piece of wood was just under $6.
*White latex house paint.  I got outdoor paint.  It didn't much matter, really.  I got a quart at Dollar Daze for $1.50.
* Dark Walnut Minwax stain.  Original price was about $7, I used a $5 off coupon, so I paid about $2.
*Poly Acrylic semi gloss Minwax clear coat.  Original price was about $5, again I had a $5 off coupon, so this was free.
*2 (more) sets of "L" brackets, they were about $1.50 each,   and 1 sanding block, which was about $4.I used another $5 coupon for these as well so this cost about $2.
*White calk, this is to attach the earring and ring holders.  On clearance for $1.79.
*Pack of white "cup" hooks, $5 but used my (last) $5 off coupon, so free.
*2 packs of foam hair rollers and small wood box, $1 each at Dollar Tree. (Used for ring holder) $3 total.
*2 small cork bulletin boards, $1.09 each. (Used for earring holder) $2.19 total.
*Pack of small clear shelf brackets. (Used for small shelf above drawers) $1
*Small hasp for door.  $2.50
*Eiffel Tower decal for front (still not sure if I like it on there) I bought with a 40% coupon at JoAnn Fabrics, ended up costing I believe $5.

Total Out of Pocket Cost:  Approx $26, Add Decal, $30.

Not too bad and not too much over budget.

NEXT:  DIY Earring Holder!